Goodwill of Central Arizona is grateful for the goodwill of others, knowing people have a choice of where to bring their used clothing, household goods and furniture. Without your generosity, we couldn’t do what we do. We’re proud of the fact that our career centers provide skills training and job placement, and are available to the general public at no-cost, all thanks to your goodwill.
Goodwill of Central Arizona is deeply rooted in the local community and positively impacts Arizonans every day. Working as a positive catalyst for change, we take a neighborly approach by offering 70+ community locations where your gently used goods can be dropped off, which in turn help place thousands of people in Arizona jobs every year.
Because items we sell at our retail stores range from classy to cool to unconventional—some would even say quirky—shopping at Goodwill is an adventure. You never know what you might find—from vintage clothing and furniture to modern household goods. In fact, quirkiness has become part of our personality, and lends a sense of fun and friendliness to all of our endeavors.
Whether it’s dropping off goods or shopping for them, what starts as your good deed becomes an opportunity for Goodwill of Central Arizona to be your steward in fighting unemployment and promoting a sustainable environment. Each year, we place thousands of people in jobs with more than a thousand Arizona employers. We also divert millions of pounds of material from going directly into Arizona landfills. It all adds up to one big benefit: the betterment of your community.
Goodwill Industries was founded in 1902 by Rev. Edgar J. Helms with the mission to give people hope, dignity, and independence. Goodwill started with Helms walking door-to-door in Boston’s wealthiest districts, carrying burlap bags and asking for donations of clothing and household goods. From day one, the Goodwill mission differed from many charities at the time. Helms emphasized that donated goods would be sold for profit and that the money would be used to pay workers who helped refurbish the goods.
The original concept was so visionary, it is just as relevant today as it was 100 years ago.
Founded in 1947, today, Goodwill of Central Arizona operates more than 70 stores and donation centers, and 20+ Goodwill career centers. Annually, we fight unemployment by providing hundreds of Arizonans with job preparation resources to connect local job seekers with hiring companies.
- Social Enterprise Award by Arizona Business Magazine.
- “Best Places to Work,” large company category.
- “Most Admired Company” award winner from AZ Magazine.
- “Top 25 Workplaces for Women.”
- #1 for “Best Non-Boutique Thrift Shop” in Phoenix New Times
- “Arizona Most Admired Companies” Award from Arizona Business Magazine and Best Companies AZ
- Environmental Stewardship Award from Keep Arizona Beautiful
- Volunteer Program of the Year award from Goodwill Industries International
- Winner of Arizona Business Magazine’s “Industry Leaders of Arizona” Award in the retail category.
- Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce “Impact Awards” Winner
- AZCentral’s Critic’s Pick: “Best Thrift Store”